What is a 1098-T?
The 1098-T is an IRS form that students may use when filing taxes. It is not a bill. The activity reported on the 1098-T refers to transactions for tuition charges or adjustments, scholarships, and grants that posted to your student account between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31. The form does not reflect payments or loan disbursements. A student that has not attended class in the calendar year reflected on the 1098-T may receive a 1098-T if they had adjustments to the prior year's tuition, scholarships or grants.
When will I receive it?
All tax documents will be available and mailed by Jan. 31. GCU uses a third party (ECSI) to produce and mail all IRS 1098-T forms. It is sent to all students who had qualified tuition, other related educational expenses, scholarships or grants applied to their account during the previous tax year. The form is mailed to the address listed on the student's official record on their GCU account.
Where can I find 1098-T information online?
Students may view and print their 1098-T form online directly from the ECSI website.
- Navigate to http://www.heartlandecsi.com/.
- Hover your mouse over Students & Borrowers.
- Click Sign In or Register Now.
- Click Sign In or Register (upper right corner). If you have an account already, enter your sign-in information, answer your security question, and proceed to the “Locating your 1098” instructions below. (Most GCU students will not have an account).
- If you don’t already have an account, create a username and password then click Continue.
- Enter your name, date of birth, phone number, and an email address that is on file with your school.
- Enter your address information and click Continue.
- Create security questions, and click Sign In & Accept.
- An email will be sent to the email address you entered. Locate this email to find your Heartland Account number. It may take a few minutes to receive this email.
- If you receive the email, enter your Heartland Account key under the Connect An Account prompt, and click on Connect.
- If you don’t receive the email, click here to be taken to the login recovery page. You will need to enter your name, the last four digits of your SSN, date of birth, and zip code. Then hit Submit.
- Copy the password, which should be a 5 digit number.
- Go back to the heartlandecsi.com website. If you closed the page, you will be asked to sign in again and then click on Connect an Account.
- Under the Search for Heartland Account heading (on the right side of the page), select the Click here button next to FOR LOAN ACCOUNTS.
- Enter the school code (Z3), your account number (SSN), and the 5 digit number you copied from the recovery website. Then click Search. If you receive an error message after this step, ignore it.
- Look at the Connect an Account heading on the left. Your heartland account number should now be visible. Click Connect. You may be asked to confirm your SSN again.
Locating Your 1098-T Form
- After signing into the website, click on Grand Canyon University under the Your Connected Accounts heading.
- Click View Account
- Click the History tab
- Click View Statement next to the applicable form (you may need to disable your pop up blocker)
- You may also print your 1098-T from this website