Career Connections is a one-stop shop for career planning, connecting undergraduate campus students, alumni, and employers to different career opportunities. Career Connections can help you to build your resume, apply for jobs, and hone your interview skills. Career Connections can be accessed through the Career Connections app in the GCU Portal. If the app isn’t available in your GCU Portal, you may need to add it. For help adding apps, see Navigating the GCU Portal. Career Connections can also be accessed directly at gcu-csm.symplicity.com.
Career Connections is only available to undergraduate campus students. If you are an online student, we recommend checking out the Tutoring and Career Services for Online Students page in the Student Success Center. You may have heard of Career Compass, which serves a similar purpose as the Career Connections app for campus students. To locate more information about Career Compass, see our article: Career Compass.
The Jobs section gives a list of recommended off-campus job postings based on the interests and qualifications compiled in the Profile section. The job postings you have favorited or applied for, will show here as well.
To view the details and apply for a specific job posting select the job title.
The Profile section is a compilation of education and job experiences as well as various other information such as skills, contact information, and a personal statement.
The Documents section hosts documents such as resumes and cover letters. The Resume Builder tab also provides templates to assist with creating a resume or cover letter.
- Select Create New Resume.
- Select Save And Continue above the preferred template.
- Edit the resume sections, then select Save And Continue.
- Select a section of the resume and fill in each field, then select Save And Continue.
- Then choose whether to View, Save and Print, or Activate the resume.
- Select Create Cover Letter.
- Fill out the Label and Content sections, then select Save And Continue.
- Then choose whether to View, Save and Print or to Activate the resume.
The Events section lists the name, date/time, and description for events such as Career Fairs, Information Sessions, and Workshops. This section also can be used to RSVP to events as well as add them to a calendar.
The Employers section lists off-campus employers and followed employers as well as contacts and favorited contacts.
By selecting the name of an employer, an overview of the employer as well as any Available Positions or Career Fairs can be viewed.
The Surveys section lists various surveys to be taken.
The Pathways section provides GCU Purpose Plan Checklists to make it easier to stay on track throughout college.
The Workforce Data section lists several career choices through depth growth projections, which can be seen by selecting the name of any career. The listed careers can also be narrowed down by selecting an industry from the Leading Industries column.
The Career Exploration section offers an extensive career placement test and details the careers best fitting the results as well as comprehensive descriptions available by selecting the name of any career.
The Document Library section lists various documents available for reference such as interview questions, sample resumes, and additional tips.
The Mock Interview section allows virtual mock interviews to be recorded and submitted for review to receive constructive feedback. Virtual interviews can be recorded using curated interviews for a certain career or can be customized by selecting individual questions for the virtual interview.
The Academic & Career Support section provides a calendar of upcoming Personal Events, Career Fairs, Workshops, Information Sessions and Appointments.
The My Account section includes various personal, privacy, and notification settings as well as an activity summary, academic profile, and optional Social Media integrations.
Scheduling Appointments with Leads and Instructional Assistants
Career Connections also allows you to view and schedule appointments with LEADs, Career Support, Student Success Specialists, and Instructional Assistants. Follow the steps below to schedule an appointment.
- Go to Academic & Career Support and select Schedule Appointment.
- Select Request New Appointment.
- Then, select the type of appointment.
- Select the date range and the time range you would like to find an appointment for.
- Select the length of the appointment. If you are not sure how long you want the appointment to be, keep this blank.
- Select the location that you would like to have the appointment in.
- After selecting the options, select the Lead or Instructional Assistant that you would like to work with. If you would like more information on the classes that the Lead works with, hover over the Lead’s name to view their bio.
- Then check the days of the week that you would like to have the appointment.
- Press the Check Availability to view the lead’s availability during the time and days selected.
NOTE If there are no appointments available, adjust your selection to view additional appointments.
- Select the appointment that you would like. After confirming the details of the appointment, enter the reason why the appointment is being requested and then press Submit Request.
Once the appointment has been requested, the Lead will review the request and approve or deny the request. When the request has been reviewed, you will receive an email in your GCU email about the status of the appointment.