Once a class has ended, you can submit final grades for students from inside the LMS or the Faculty Portal.
Before final grades can be submitted, ensure that the following criteria are met:
- The class has ended (Your current time is past midnight on the final day of the course).
- All content has been graded and published.
- The only exceptions to this rule are content labeled as exempt. If an item is exempt from grading, there will be a visible blue button to indicate this.
- To ensure that all grades are published, click the menu icon in the Final Grade column, and select Publish All.
- Once final grades are eligible to be submitted, a Ready icon will appear in the Final Grade column for each eligible student.
- Click the Push button to submit all eligible final grades.
- The submission process may take a few minutes to complete. Once it has finished, you will see an icon that says Completed next to each completed student.
- Check to ensure that all grades submitted successfully. If a grade was eligible for submission but did not submit successfully, it will have icon that says Error. Hovering over the error icon will populate the specific error message that caused the problem.
A student may ask you to submit an Incomplete Grade for them. This is like a placeholder grade that allows the student additional time to complete final assignments in the class. Incomplete Grades are not designed to assist students who have fallen behind in class and want to submit missing assignments, but rather for students that have a passing grade during the last week of class and experience extreme circumstances that prevent them from completing the final assignment(s). Four weeks after the last day of class, you must submit a final grade for the student or the Incomplete Grade will automatically convert to an "F".
If you need to submit an Incomplete Grade, the method will change based on if final grades have been submitted or not:
- If final grades have been submitted, submit a Grade Change Form for the student.
- If final grades have not been submitted yet, submit the student's grade through the Faculty Portal.
For assistance and additional questions on Incomplete Grades, please reach out to Faculty Training and Development at 602-639-7004 or [email protected]
Additionally, you can submit final grades through the Faculty Portal if you are having issues with submitting final grades in LMS.
- Start by logging into the Faculty Portal at https://gcuportal.gcu.edu. Then, select Faculty Access. Make sure to sign in using your username followed by @gcu.edu.
- Next, select the My Classes option on the left column.
- Then, select Gradebook and select the term that the course is in from the drop-down menu in the center of the page.
- Choose the course that final grades need to be submitted for.
- Click the box labeled Final Grades. Then, enter the letter grade for each individual student and click Save Final Grades.
NOTE Entering a grade with a plus or minus value (+/-) will not appear until you select Save Final Grade. The entry box is not large enough to show the values.
- Grades are submitted successfully once you are no longer able to edit them.
To avoid time-out issues, we recommend entering 4-5 final grades at a time and clicking on Save Final Grades prior to entering additional final grades, particularly in larger classes.
View the list of possible errors below for steps on how to resolve them.
If this error occurs, the grade for the student in question will need to be submitted through the faculty portal.
If the grade listed in this error is not correct, submit a Grade Change Form to correct it. For instructions on this process, please review [Faculty] Where do I find the Grade Change Form?
If this error occurs, contact Faculty Training and Development at 602-639-7004, or through their email: [email protected].
If this error occurs, submit the student’s grade through the Faculty Portal instead.