LopesWrite is an electronic grammar, spelling, and citation checker tool. Any assignments that are submitted to LopesWrite will generate a report with a similarity score. The similarity score is compiled by comparing the text of the assignment against a database of sources, including the internet and against one’s previously submitted work (self-plagiarism).
This system will be available in classes starting after these dates in the corresponding platforms:
LMS-GRAD (Graduate) – 7/12/2018
LoudCloud Grad (Graduate) – 8/02/2018
LoudCloud Ugrad (Undergraduate) – 8/20/2018
LMS-TRAD (Traditional) – 8/27/2018
LopesWrite can be accessed through the GCU Portal through the Helpful Links App and through the classroom when submitting your assignment. Please note, when accessing LopesWrite through the GCU Portal, anything submitted will only generate a report for feedback and not be submitted to the database. This will only happen when you submit your assignment to LopesWrite and subsequently final submit.
After opening the LopesWrite report, you will be able to view your submitted assignment. A summary toolbar will be visible across the top of the report, with a color-coded markup of the paper and corresponding expandable grammar and citation notifications in the right margin.
The summary toolbar contains the following categories in order:
- Word Count – This displays total word count of the submitted document.
- Similarity Score – Indicates the percentage of similarity between words appearing outside of quotations marks in the submitted document and other internet and/or institution sources. You can expand the Similarity Score field by clicking on the arrow to display a more detailed breakdown of what percentage of content corresponds to which source type. If the same content matches both internet and institution sources, these scores may add up to a higher number than the total Similarity Score.
- Quoted Text – Reflects the percentage of words that appear within quotation marks (“”), in relation to the total number of words in the submitted document. Quoted content will not be included as part of the Similarity Score.
- Citation Items – Specifies the total number of unique internet and institution sources detected within the submitted document. Any Citation Item notifications will appear in the right margin (with corresponding color-coded highlights over the document), and are indicated as follows:
- Web Content – Internet Source
- Student – Institution Source
- Self – Institution Source
- Grammar Items – Shows the total number of possible spelling and/or grammar errors detected within the submitted document. Possible errors may include, but are not limited to: spelling mistakes, punctuation errors, agreement errors, passive voice, grammatical problems, and possible bad style. Click on the arrow to expand the comment further.
- Settings – Inside the Settings, you can control which citation and grammar notifications are visible (by toggling the purple switch). Please note, these settings only change what is displayed, not what is checked.
- Download – Generates a PDF version of the LopesWrite report that can be opened or saved.
NOTE Any content removed from the report view using Settings will not appear on the downloaded document.