Which system am I using?
You may be using the Old LoudCloud if you see a purple/blue menu bar or if your url starts with lc-trad1.gcu.edu, lc-ugrad3.gcu.edu, or lc-grad3.gcu.edu.
You may be using the New LoudCloud (also referred to as the LMS) if your menu dropdown is on the left side or if your url starts with lms-trad.gcu.edu, lms-ugrad.gcu.edu, or lms-grad.gcu.edu.
Students completing courses in mathematics and statistics will use either MathXL or MyMathLab to complete their homework and assessments. Assignments and quizzes will be submitted via the MathXL website, rather than in the LoudCloud classroom environment. (Discussion questions, announcements, and most other aspects of the course will still be done in LoudCloud).
Depending on the specific course you are taking, the course materials and access code may be provided by GCU, or may need to be purchased separately. If you aren’t sure, here are a few ways to determine if your course requires you to purchase these materials separately:
- First, we recommend checking the Canyon Connect website. If the material format says, “Print text”, then you are required to purchase the course materials out of pocket. For more information about how to search for course materials using this resource, check out our article Canyon Connect.
- If you are taking your math course through the old LoudCloud system, check the Course Add-Ons tab in your LoudCloud classroom. To find this page, click the Resources tab, then Course Materials. Then select the Course Add-ons tab and look for a heading titled either MathXL or MyMathLab. This section will state whether or not materials need to be purchased.
- If you are taking your math course through the new LoudCloud system (LMS), check the Course Materials section within the Path menu. To find this page, click the navigation menu and select Path. Then select Course Materials from the menu on the left and look for either MathXL or MyMathLab. This section will state whether or not materials need to be purchased.
- If you still aren’t sure whether or not you need to purchase third party course materials for your class, ask your instructor by sending them a message via the individual forum. Do not purchase anything yourself before verifying whether or not you need it, as GCU cannot issue a refund from a third party company.
Once you determine whether or not you need to purchase materials or simply register using a code that has been provided to you, click the appropriate heading below for instructions.
If you find that you need to purchase materials separately, complete the following steps:
Go to http://www.mathxl.com and click Student.
Then select the OK! Register now button.
Select No, I need to buy access and click Next.
MathXL will guide you through the process of purchasing your access code.
The steps listed below will guide you through registering and setting up your account. Please be sure to have your access code in front of you before proceeding. If your course provides an access code for you, it can typically be found in LoudCloud. Contact your instructor for assistance if you have difficulty finding the access code.
Go to http://www.mathxl.com and click Student.
Select the OK! Register now button.
Choose Yes, I have an access code and click Next.
Be sure to accept the license agreement that is presented on the next page before continuing.
Enter the requested information.
- Login Name and Password – Use GCU email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) and create a new password if the student does not already have a Pearson Education account.
- Enter the Access Code
- Enter School Zip Code as 85017
- Enter Country as United States.
- Enter First and Last Name and GCU email address.
- Select school name from drop-down list.
- Registration is complete.
If your access code does not work, make sure to check for common errors such as Caps Lock or Number Lock. If the code continues to be rejected, contact MathXL® Technical Support at 1-800-677-6337.
After you have registered on the MathXL website,
- Go to http://www.mathxl.com. Click Sign in. Enter the login name and password created during the registration process and then click Sign in.
- Select I am taking a course that is using MathXL® and need to enroll in my instructor's course. Choose the instructor and course name, for example, MAT 270 Calculus I 05-May-08 OL20, from the drop-down menus. If the instructor has several sections of the same course, be sure to enroll in the proper section. It should be listed as the same section number as the LoudCloud classroom.
- Enter the Course Code. This is found in the LoudCloud class or Student Portal.
- Click Enroll.
- Click on Run Installation Wizard Now to install the necessary software on your computer. You must run the installation wizard before using MathXL®.
- After running the installation wizard, close the internet browser.
- Open the internet browser again and log back into http://www.mathxl.com. You can now start working in MathXL®.
If you are having difficulty using MathXL, step-by-step guides can be found through your LoudCloud classroom.
- Select the Student Success Centerfrom the Resources tab
- Enter MathXL® into the search bar
- Click Visit Page
You can also go to MathXL® where you will find several resources in the support section of their website