Here are some helpful tips we've found make the troubleshooting experience a piece of cake in Windows 8!
All troubleshooting should be done in Desktop Mode. Troubleshooting in Metro Mode may not provide the same results and can be difficult to perform.
There are several ways to reach Desktop Mode:
- Select the Desktop icon in Metro Mode
- Right-click in the bottom-left corner and choose the Desktop option
- Hold down the Windows key and press D key
Accessing the Control Panel in Windows 8 is different from Windows 7, or any version before it. The easiest way to access it is through Desktop Mode:
- Right-click the bottom-left corner and select Control Panel.
Windows 8 has improved the Search functionality over Windows 7. You can narrow down search results to find Applications and Programs or your files.
- Applications and Programs: Windows key + Q
- Files: Windows key + F
To restart or shut down your Windows 8 computer:
- Mouse over to the bottom-right corner of the screen
- Select the Cog/Gear shaped icon to open the Settings menu
- In Settings, select the Power option
- Choose either Restart or Shut Down