Congratulations on a new school year at Grand Canyon University! As a traditional ground student, you may have some questions about Welcome Week and getting started with your classes.
Welcome Week is a time for new and returning students to move in and meet their peers. There are events scheduled all week for on-campus and commuter students. For more information about events, check out the full Welcome Week Event Schedule.
Accessing Your Student Portal
The Student Portal houses all the links to your courses, resources, financial information, and general account information.
- You will log in with your MyGCU email address, which is firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you need to reset your password, you will first need to register your account
- See our Navigating the GCU Portal article for more information
Finding Your Class and Schedule
Click the Class Schedule/Grades app in the Student Portal and look under the Room #.
- The first number is the building number and the second is the room number (the hundreds column indicates the floor)
- Example: Room #1-202
- 1 indicates Building 1
- 202 indicates the second floor, room number 202
- Example: Room #1-202
- The Campus Map has a guide to building names and numbers
Getting Started with Classes
All GCU courses have an online component, regardless of whether the class meets in person or not. The online portion of your class is hosted in LoudCloud and is available in through the Student Portal up to 3 days prior to the start of the class.
After accessing your LoudCloud classroom through the My Courses section of your Student Portal, you will want to:
- Review the syllabus
- Read important announcements
- Introduce yourself on the class wall
- Familiarize yourself with the discussion forums
- Learn how to submit your assignments
If you would like more information about LoudCloud, check out the LoudCloud Tutorial for Campus Students.
Installing Free Microsoft Office
All active GCU students have free access to Microsoft Office programs throughout their time as a GCU student.
- For download instructions, check out Free Microsoft Office Installation
- You also have a OneDrive account with 1 TB of storage
Course Textbooks and eBooks
- To verify if an eBook is provided for your class, check through Canyon Connect
- Here are some instructions for accessing your eBooks based on type
Check out some of our Frequently Asked Questions!
The GCU Student App is a big hit on Campus. It gives you easy access to items such as your schedule and digital student ID, but most importantly, it contains information about your dining options on campus! Review the Getting Started with the GCU Student App for instructions for logging in.